2 lbs or 1 kg of raw shrimp, deveined. Shells can be kept on or taken off, depending on your preference.
Passion fruit marinade:
1 to 2 teaspoons of ground cumin.
1 teaspoon of chili powder.
1 tablespoon ground achiote or annatto powder.
2 tablespoons of olive oil.
½ cup pure passion fruit juice or concentrate, unsweetened.
Salt and pepper
Achiote butter for basting:
2 tbs of melted butter.
½ tbs ground achiote.
Dipping sauces and sides:
Spicy cilantro salsa.
Spicy avocado salsa.
- In a large bowl, cover the shrimp with the passion fruit marinade ingredients and let it sit for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Put the shrimp on the skewers. If the skewers are a main meal put 5-6 shrimp on each skewer and for an appetizer put only 3-4 shrimp.
- Brush the shrimp with the melted butter achiote right before placing on the grill.
- Grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until the shrimp are fully cooked and they have turned completely pink. Baste with the achiote butter as needed.
- Serve with dipping sauces and lime slices or on top of your favorite salad.